Saturday 30 April 2011

Russell Brand esque

Having now become a changed man, I look back on certain comparisons made of me with a lack of pride and more disdain and embarrassment.

It started at the age of about 20 (before this it was rarely impressive comparisons) I distinctly remember having a care n share sesh with my mum, who out of absolute nowhere turned round and said:
Mum: Abdulla, Don’t be such a Casanova

Me: ummm, uggghhh, ummm.. What??… like… what??… I mean… ummmm what do you mean?? who have you been talking to??
Mum: Sometimes a mother, just knows, and remember you have to treat women with respect.


Whilst I thought this was un-called for, since I was in no way shape or form a Casanova -esque quality player/person, this had and still has a serious impact on me. I am now totally respectful in what I say, and the way I act around women… if my mum is ever around, or could hear about my interactions with them.

Another memorable moment I remember was when the girls in my 3rd year uni class told everyone I should be one of the people on some MTV show of the time who talks a loser guy through a date of what he should say and do. Even at this point I thought they were winding me up.

But the comparisons continued and since then I am starting to believe the hype: People have said I remind them of Travie Mccoy, Taio Cruz (Break your heart song), an oaf, Barney Stinson and Hank Moody to name the most memorable, and most recently Thor prior to him becoming all unselfish and nice in the movie. Whilst a few girls referring to me as ‘Moody’ is kinda nice, cos he is one cool dude!!. I know that when people mention these comparisons it’s generally not a compliment:

Girl: You remind me of Barney Stinson
Me: Awesome thanks :D
Girl: Its not a good thing, he’s a loser
Me: That’s ok, I like him, Thanks :D
Girl: (annoyed) ahh ok…
Me: Did u hear that? Im like Barney… Awesome!!!

But I didn’t really think much of it until the Russell Brand comparisons. Over the last few years I think I have had 20 or so of these comments, and quite a few texts when he was recently on ITV, but it really hit home when whilst watching him, my Mum said:

Mum: Abdulla, he really reminds me of you, u know, he was even saying as a kid all he wanted to be was the centre of attention, just like you..
Little Brother: Not much has changed
Mum: He’s like you, but I don’t like him…
Well worth a watch even if you dont like Russell Brand, you will see a new side to him!
Another comparison in the negative, but having watched an interview of him I think this comparison maybe one of the most substantive and one I am not too embarrassed of. I want to be an extremely charming, intelligent, witty, stylish, ex-lothario, with an unbelievable way to breakdown the real world using Foucauldian/Post Modernist viewpoints, and i do see comparisons myelf: I know i do live in my own little world at times, i am way too exciteable and animated when i talk, i dont mean to be mean and rude, but in the process of having fun it just kinda happens, I try to align my desire with Gods wishes and be a better person, but its a complete struggle., the marmite effect i have on others... to name but a few


Now where is my Katy Perry…

No comments:

Post a Comment