Monday 4 November 2013

The Book Of Mormon / Objective Humour

For my birthday, I went to watch a theatre production: The Book of Mormon! I think this is one of the best ways for me to explain one of the social constructs I try to follow, accept and embody: objective humour.

So, Book of Mormon has had a lot of hype and interest - revered as a breath of fresh air, really funny and quotes that I believed were hyperbole until I witnessed the phenomena with my own eyes and ears.

Yet it's also been termed racist, offensive and crass. Which, believe it or not, it actually was. It was even blasphemous. At these times, I found the show uncomfortable to watch but (question) did that detract from the fact it was hilarious?



Answer: Yes it did and for me, subjectively, there were parts I didn't like but the question I ask myself is, Did that make it less funny? 

The answer is yes. 

But I don't want that to be the answer. The answer should be no, it was still hilarious and therein lies the issue with an objective sense of humour. It is defined by your subjective experience, what one person finds funny another person finds rude or offensive.


I try to offset this perspective on humour on a personal level and it is a term that has become a part of my friends' lexicon.

So how does one embody an objective sense of humour? I don't know but this is my method and it works in the main for me...
I take myself out of the situation. If someone insults me or says something offensive to me, I ask myself if I would laugh if this was said on a TV show or to someone else. If the answer is yes, then it's funny and just because I was offended or hurt that does not detract from how objectively funny something is, if people say you take yourself too seriously, this is one sure fire way to lighten up... loser!

Using this method of analysis I have come to the conclusion that the Book of Mormon is the funniest (objectively) show I have ever watched. In fact it was my favourite piece of live entertainment that I have ever witnessed. This is one situation in which racist, blasphemous and offensive material has been very, very funny!


No comments:

Post a Comment