Sunday 29 May 2011

Random adventure in Balham


After leaving Hamley’s and popping into the office with all the cool new presentations, I left work early to go finish packing, unlike the last time I did this it wasn’t too bad. 2 hours later with the majority of the packing done it was time to have some last hours of fun in England:

Marc and I went out to initially get some food, he wanted to go Nando’s, and since I am a total team-player we walked down to the one on Clapham High Street, but it was as though the shop was fumigated with chicken smoke, it was worse than the smell of the chicken shop I almost moved into. We decided to hit the one in Balham, neither of us knew how to get there. As the rain pours down in the musky gloomy street, Marc shouts: ‘Adventure time’ as we ran to the bus shelter to avoid the rain.


We go to the nearest bus stop, and find people who speak no English, and try to ascertain the way to Balham. I’m assuming like most English speakers do, we slow down and speak in slow motion as opposed to try to speak any little amount of Spanish Marc or i accumalitevely knew. ‘ Dooo yooouuu (pointing at them) knnoooww the waaayy (making a snake sign) too Naaaandoooors (Doing a chicken flap..we didn’t really do this, but we should have in hindsight) After this did not work, we turn around and the right bus just happened to be there, we get on, to looks of what crazy people. As soon as wee get on the bus a fun conversation spontaneously erupts with two lovely ladies, they inform us of how to get to the Nando's of our choice - verfy friendly Londoners. I am finding that contrary to popular beliefs London is a friendly place and most people will have a fun, interesting conversation with me.

After getting to know these girls and having some random banter, we get to the stop and go to eat some Nandos chicken!

Whilst eating I do that whole friendly banter thing and we end up chatting to these two fun girls on the table to the left, and two really nice guys to the table to my right. The girls were students and quite friendly, one of the girls was called Abs, and in my genius I decided that her nickname going forward should be : Abs Vagina… basically because she had one… insightful right?? 
Abs Vagina being fun!
I have decided making new friends, adventures and random stories should not be too hard in this part of the world, and it just may be that London is misunderstood. The guys were marginally more friendly than the girls, one of the guys was a comedian, and they both were blogging experts, how lucky was I… bare networking for the day.. Then we get back on the bus, but it seems my Oyster has run out of cash, as I am about to pay my bus driver in a cockney/cool guy kinda way, he shrugged, ‘Ah its cool, you just go on’. 
Not the bus in question but reminds me of a totally fun story I once experience on a bus years ago opposite Westiminster.
London is getting friendlier and friendlier (Touch wood). As we take our seats, this Wag-esque girl gets on the bus. I tell my friend he should totally ask her if she is a Wag, but alas she went upstairs. As we get back to Clapham, we get off the bus and out of the corner of my eye I see the Wag girl totally stood there, well I just had to find out, but she wasn’t a Wag but a really fun friendly Polish girl.

As we run through the rain back home, and I add the finishing touches to my packing I am gutted that I am leaving London for a month, and about to embark on another ‘adventure/work jolly’ to America.. I am looking forward to seeing what this journey has in store, I know for one I cant wait to shoot some guns!
Either way can't to see what America has to offer!

No comments:

Post a Comment