Wednesday 11 May 2011

My thought on Sluts

I read an article on the BBC website in which women were organising and attending ‘slut walks’. These are not like pub crawls at a hen do, but in essence are a protest against some women being told not to dress like sluts. A policeman told them:


“…However, women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised."


For the record, I am totally against sexual assault and think people who sexually assault others are inhumane, should be punished and victims should not, in 99% of situations feel like it’s their fault. 


The new, improved and upgraded slut???





Now for the fun part – 


1. How is this not going to be the best place ever to pick up some slutty girls? Straight guys would joke it would be at an abortion clinic, but now you have got a location in which large amounts of women, who refer to themselves as sluts are going to congregate. These women will probably be quite angry and all emotional. Probably hating on men… I think, a few lesbians might want to come and lend their support too. I can totally see this conversation happening at some point: “Oh I totally understand, I think men are so insensitive, you should totally be a slut, I respect that.


2. I thought what this police officer advised sounded like common sense. In the same way I wouldn’t walk around a poor ghetto-fied area showing off my flashy Rolex, I-phone in hand, speakers on, playing music, with a sign saying ‘Rob me’. Don't mis-understand me, people should not steal and stealing is wrong, but it’s called having common sense. Understand your context, your situation and dress and act appropriately. This is not to say it’s your fault you got robbed, but if you did do the above, and explained the situation to an average person, or even say, your Dad. Do you think they/he would  feel sorry for you and think you had been wronged? Yes, I'm assuming they would, but in the same conversation, can you imagine a phrase such as: "What were you doing flashing it around that area, you know what its like down there" . Obviously sexual assault is worse than being robbed, and I am not equating the two, but trying to make the point: Common Sense is there to be used, unfortunately in this case the Post Modernist mantra that: 'Perception is reality' cannot be ignored.


3. What is with this subversive attitude of taking words back? The Black people did it with the N word (I don’t even feel write typing it), or Pakistani’s taking back the term ‘Paki’, or even Gypsies, taking back the term ‘ Ya Fackin Gypo’. Why is it, that only those people taking it back can use it? Just out of curiosity if Girl A is a slut, is it acceptable for her to call Girl B a slut, but what if Girl A isn’t a slut, but wishes she was can she still use it? Or would we have the social 'Tim Westwood' phenomena, where she can call them 'Slags, Whore and Bitches, but not use that particular S word? Who knows, and also what if a guy is a slut, can he call another girl a slut?


4.. ‘Slut walks’ (The term used to describe the protests) are coming to the UK and I for one can’t wait to go and support these ladies, and totally lend a supporting ear, probably expressing my disgust for the way these lovely ladies have been oppressed, I hope to get into deep converation in regards to this topic and at some point I can assume I may even say something like this: “Oh I totally understand, I think we can be so insensitive (men), you should totally be a slut, I respect that..”

No comments:

Post a Comment