Monday 23 May 2011

New job! (1st week at work)




My whole corporate life (3.5 years) I have had to wear business attire, and I absolutely hate it. Not because I don’t look dashing in a nice suit, I’m sure I do, it’s the rules I have a problem with. It’s the constriction it plays on my level of individuality and expression. I have never liked being a rule follower, whether it is social or formalised within institutions.


Day1

Hence rocking up to my new job wearing Jeans, a t-shirt at 1100 hrs was like a breath of fresh air, later in the week I took off my trainers and walked around in my socks, and nobody batted an eye lid, I remember doing this at my old place and people thought I was ‘crazified’. The day just got better from there, within 2 hours I was out to lunch with some of the team, getting involved in PC levels of banter. I took a piece of advise Holly gave me, unleashing ‘Abs’ on people is fine, and most people will come to like it, but play it sensible at first, so I did, feeling constricted internally. This wasn’t the only strange feeling I experienced, caring what people thought and how I came across was really alien and uncomfortable for me, you may be thinking what about at interviews, but the truth is I am very natural and comfortable at interviews.

After coming back from lunch I was invited to a reception of Champagne (I chose the orange juice) chocolates, which I ate a lot of. Coca-cola, which I drank too much, and strawberries with cream, whereby I imagined too much. I finished the day thinking maybe this is just a strange off day, and not everyday will be like this.

Day 2

I am told I need to book flights, hotels and a car, as I am being sent on a 3 week ‘jolly’ to America, unfortunately it was in Boise USA and not Las Vegas. My boss takes me to Carnaby Street, and does some Window Shopping.

Day 3

Another work ‘funsy’… Champagne, Beer, Coca-Cola (for me), and lots and lots of Au-dourves (I had to totally go check how to spell this bad boy), there was one with chocolates covered in strawberries, and this was when the first ‘Abs’ unleashing was held, and thankfully it went well, made sure not to unleash it on the VP or Ops manager, but everyone was really cool and I started to really get some banter and rapport going on.

Day 4

Was a relatively normal day: I saw Boris Johnson, had a quick chat, and then saw Deepika Paduloone, who is one hot Bollywood actress!

Day 5

Was taken on all expenses paid lunch to Ping-Pong which unlike, what I initially thought was not a table tennis club, which doubled as a sandwich club, but was in fact a really nice Chinese-esque type restaurant! So after that 3 hour lunch came back to the office, and couldn’t do an iota of work. I literally had eaten myself into a mind coma, but I did perk up as I overhear that we are going to be getting an X-box Kinect.


End of week 1

I go out to my friend Bilal’s birthday celebration, and meet a suffragette-esque poster girl, and experience what I can only imagine what being on Acid is like… I will explain this in the next post… But I am so…so glad I am working with people, who I like, a boss who is really funny, in a really nice abs conducive environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment