Sunday 22 May 2011

Moving to London



Monday 7 pm – (7 days before I start new job in Londonia, and will be homeless)


Whilst I search Clapham high n low, bargain hunting for a decent place to live, I find nothing. However, I find somewhere in the wilderness beyond the tube infrastructure: quite a nice place, with nice people, relatively cheap, somewhere I genuinely contemplate moving to, but after the view, they said they will let me know midweek, gutted and I might have put down a deposit… Oh well...im lucky and charming, something better may turn up and I’m sure Adam n Co (current tenants) will choose me anyhow..







Wednesday 3pm – ( 5 days before I start work)


I still haven't found anywhere I would like to live, and Adam’s place from Monday haven’t called me back..but I tell myself: Play it cool Abs no one likes needy people. But as my desperation intensifies I find a place above a chicken shop on Clapham High St… Yeah it may smell a bit like chicken, yeah the kitchen has no running water yet (building in progress), yeah there is only one shower working between 5 people, and the water is luke warm at best… but I tell myself, febreeze and lynx work.. I can get discount chicken, the other 4 people don’t work early in the morning, and who needs a kitchen, I live above a fried chicken shop, 2 doors away from Inferno (dirty seedy nightclub), how is this not a the dream? And, surely the gauntlet back to mine will be a test to see whose a keeper. I decide to take the place and the landlord allows me to have a rolling contract and says I can move my stuff in tonight… and pay the deposit tomorrow..I bring a 1/3 of my stuff and plant it there, but don’t stay the night…

Thursday 09:00 hrs ( Oh yes time is of the essence I’m getting all military-fied)



The chicken shop call me… I can’t live there, some bureaucratic order to do with living conditions, human rights and the council…oh oh… I have to come collect my things …Frantic search for another place ensues… 


I manage to track down somewhere 5 minutes from Clapham North… I pester, ring and text Jose (landlord of the new place) who agrees to let me come see his place at 20:00 hrs… I attend and the place is in dire straits, worse than the chicken shop, where if I lived my human rights may have been violated: The room is small, on the plus Jose does seem like a genuinely nice character, but here I am , up shit paddle with no creek.. I tell him: "I will take it". He says I can move in on Saturday… Phew…


Time to unwind immanent danger over..I go to see my friend Allister(a square friend..ill explain soon in another blog I'm sure), who cooks up a mean ass chicken dish for me.. I get a text its from Adam, asking If I would like to move into the place with him… The answer is no, it was too far,as i start to type Allister  convinces me to text this back (not that it took a lot of convincing).. “Adam, whilst your offer is most appealing, I must respectfully decline, I was totally smitten with the girl, no, not your girlfriend {I thought it was funny how I was smitten and didn't remember her name} the other one, and therefore don’t think it’s a good idea, what do you think?Adam replies: Ok that’s surprising, oh well you are right, it would be a bad idea in that case good luck with everything.
The last laugh is on me!


Friday 09:00


I wake up to this beautiful morning with a text from Jose, I can’t move into the place due to other complications with the other tenants. Jose advises I can take my deposit back, at this point I could give a 2 shits about a deposit. It begins to dawn on me I have nowhere to live…Jose continues you can move into my room, in a room share for a month, until the room becomes vacant permanently… Ummm… no I say to myself I’m not that desperate…. Yet.

I rarely do this, but I got well stressed out, had a bit of a moan and a stress, but then I prayed and re-assured myself: You never work hard for things, things always seem to work out. I re-affirm myself in the belief of fatalism, if things happen they happen because God wants them to...I pray... And then it hits me… I could have moved in with Adam, oh no!! My self amusement has got me in the shit!! 



My mind begins to frantically wonder, but a calmness ensues, i re-affirm that things will work out...I’ll get lucky…God will sort me out... I pray and ask Allah for the best thing in this situation, whatever it may be, to happen. I convince myself what is meant to be, will be…The search continues


Friday 13:00


I find somewhere to live, it was posted as an ad yesterday at 7 pm… I’m in here I tell myself…I ring him: "Sorry the place has gone" I hear the words but i dont quite understand the gravity of the situation, "But my colleague has a place, talk to him about it.." I get the number and I ring him, he gives me 10 reasons why I can’t move in straight away but I can come to view the place.. He gives me the hard sell. I literally hold back with the desperation, and manage to secure the place, and whether or not I am genuinely lucky/blessed, this further consolidated the view that: I’m lucky because God has blessed me, whether it be with work, friends, degrees etc.. Now, I have a genuine pimp pad, far beyond my wildest expectations, far superior to all the other places I had seen, and for the money shot, it has red leather sofas and its 1 min from Clapham high st… :D


Saturday 00:20


Marc, Allister (2/4 of my square) and Beenish help me move in whilst Jayne n Ste offer (2/3 of my triangle). I thank God I have good friends, and further proves my point that my friend shapes should be a socially accepted phenomena (I do promise to explain it one day..)


Sunday 09:00


I wake up.. Im living in London.. I get a call from my new Landlord.. "What?? I HAVE TO MOVE OUT??? 


Sunday 11:00


I actually wake up and had a bad dream.. happy endings do occur, I got lucky, thank God n i am now in London!

No comments:

Post a Comment