Tuesday 21 June 2011

Drag Show

In general I found Boise to be quite a conservative city, with concepts such as sex before marriage and homosexuality somewhat frowned upon. It’s a place where general Christian values are upheld; it probably helps that there are a lot of Mormons living here. Yet for any of you that know me I do live very in-the-minute and will not always take into account my surroundings and context. This is one of those times:

I was invited to a drag show. Now while London is known for being quite an open, multicultural, understanding place I have never really been intrigued by the drag community or going to gay bars or any such ‘gay’ activities. It’s just not what my friends and I do, or the kind of parties or contexts we roll in.


Hence this was another new experience for me, and heck was it an experience! One of the tranny’s looked so much like a woman it was freaky.
My colleague and I arrived a bit late but there was about 10 people from work there, all women. Not that I was complaining, or really noticed…at the time…

The show started off really slow and boring, but then soon got more inappropriate and funny, with lots of penis, transvestite and gay jokes: Objectively very funny. After the show one of the girls got us backstage and I was able to take a photo with one of the lead drag queens (not the one that looked like a woman).




I started to dance on the stage once the drag show was complete and the bar seemed open to dance. This was when I first started to realise there were a lot of gays in this bar, men and women. I didn’t think anything more of this; I just assumed that the drag show brought these people in.

All night I was rarely checked out by any girls. Now this is not me being big headed, but I stand out a lot in Boise.
  1. I can dance
  2. I dress very metro (no guys in America are)

Usually I can tell when a girl likes me - I have an almost 6th sense for it. A lot of people think I am delusional though, but either way, tonight I was getting no real attention. That was until I start dancing, and a guy walked straight up to me and starts thrusting his nether regions upon my very own precious longtitude and langtitude. No subtlety, no slowly gyrating my way, no copying my dance moves for a while, none of that. This took me totally off guard and, without breaking my dance rhythm, I turned around and jump off the stage. As I walked off to my group a little bit mystified, I see that they are laughing, and this is when they explicitly inform me: ‘You are in a gay bar!!’ I look around and it all starts to add up. I laugh and think well I have now been to a gay bar, another new experience in America.

No comments:

Post a Comment