Saturday 4 June 2011

Dinner with Mormons


I had been invited to dinner at a really cool colleague who happens to be a Mormon. Mormons are like a real hardcore Christian Faith sect with some extra’s. Suffice to say one of the first conversations we had was about  the South Park episode, but this is when I realised how cool and my type of people he was, it wasn’t long until we were joking about this and Muslim terrorist stereotyping.


I was asked all sorts of questions, on what I could and could not eat, and he was so understanding and made food that was totally Halal. We even looked up Halal meat in Boise, found some and went and bought some chicken last minute.com prior to going over to his house. Whilst at the shop, I also found other asian type things that I doubt he would have ever ate, such as, Basmati rice, parata’s and somosa’s. I did feel a little bit bad because his wife had, in hindsight made some very nice food! Whilst she made the preparations on this we made some chicken curry and rice, but we ate the food his lovely wife made, and what we made was merely supplementary fanciful treats.

This dinner was another indication to me about how much food American’s ate: Loads!!

However it wasn’t only me, my colleague and his wife at dinner, he had also invited two of his friends, one who had travelled all over and was a really funny guy. Obviously the concept of religion came up, as I knew very little about Mormonism, they knew very little about Islam, well none outside of the ‘Fox-ified’ Islam on the FOX channel., The funny friend was an atheist, so a lot of knowledge and banter was passed around.

After dinner we had desserts,  a cake and 2 chocolate bars, strawberries and cream. We ate this whilst we watched a basketball NBA final game. I had an incredibly great time, and felt so welcomed, totally appreciating the amazing levels of hospitality shown to me.

The old adage: Time flies when you have fun was never more true. Before long we realise its 11pm. I leave to go home, and after getting lost and driving for about 10 more minutes than I have to, I reach my destination, get ready for bed. As I lay there reminiscing the fun conversation, banter and good food I had, it dawned on me that I had been doing this since I left, maybe an hour ago. As this realisation came to the forefront of my mind, I realised that I had been doing this for the last week. I haven’t felt this feeling in such a long time, but it is such a great feeling : I think I have a crush on Boise Idaho.  This is officially a sentence that I never believed I would say in my life.

The crush has been getting stronger with the additional fun I have been experiencing at the Mall, the new people I have been meeting, and the most amazing house party I have ever been to.. ‘Keep tuning in for the low down on these adventures and more at www.Haveyoumetabs.info’ (Voice over styliee - I realise I have been totally watching too many infomercials)

No comments:

Post a Comment