Monday 29 April 2013

The clothes maketh the man

Buses, women and now free clothes. It seems that there are the three things in life, that when I am in need of their service they are not so easily found, but then when you are in ready availability of their service… bang! You can’t stop receiving them.

I was at a charity show helping out a friend, and she asked me to do a bit of presenting and to do some modelling, as dull as I find modelling, and as fat as I have recently got, I decided it was for a good cause. I plug along to the venue, go backstage and introduce myself to everyone their and then do what I do best… self amuse and have fun!

Inappropriateness between everyone there was in full flow, mainly due to me, but  for once this was not my fault. Enter...


Cam: (To the Group) you guys think this is bad (referring to me being inappropriate) Abs, why don’t you tell them the questions you asked me, as a test to see if I was cool enough (said tongue in cheek – but I genuinely use this as my litmus test for when I meet new people, to see if I actually want to get to know them better, its my sense of humour/inappropiateness test)

Abs: these are not my jokes I prefaced:  ‘but, why does  Beyonce always sing: ‘To the left, to the left’?....

'Because black women have no rights', I answered, too matter of factly.

There was dead silence, I looked at my audience, 6 out of the 10 people were black.
The silence seemed to hang in the air for an age, finally one of the singers went ‘ooooh’ then everyone laughed, they all loved the joke! I noticed all the non-black people were laughing too, I had a feeling I was going to really like these people. Not because they were racists, but because they had a sense of humour.

There was a lot more banter and inappropriateness; this was a really fun group of people.  However we were there for a show, so it gets down to business and I ask the designer what clothes he wants the models to wear and for any direction. None was forthcoming and he told us we were free to choose to wear whatever we wanted. He was literally the most chilled out, nonchalant designer I’d ever heard of, and he was really nice, fun and not gay. He was an anomaly in a good way, not that I’m homophobic.

 
Backstage - Doing in hindsight what I can only imagine is called 'The Eagle'


GentsCC official bodyguard/poser (in the background)


Eventually, as though this outlook wasn't good enough he finally gave me some directon: 'Go out there, and do some body popping, smile, give it major attitude, really have fun out there.' He didn’t have to tell me twice, I was MJ sliding across the stage, giving the weirdest most attitude-ful looking poses I could muster on stage, I even did the Jay-Z – dirt off my shoulder move. As if, he hadn’t made the experience enough fun, at the end he was like ‘feel free to take some clothes and wear them’ so I did and I do!
 
My favourite outfit of the day - the hoodie was gangster but also snuggly - True Story


 
They are probably clothes I would have worn a few years ago, just because I am getting on a bit now, but as you can see, they are designed for young affluent people influenced by hip hop culture. The clothes are stylish comfortable and pretty cool. I'm sure they are made for those new types of hip hop loving people who don’t have to fight for their rights. 

You can get yourself some of these clothes from: www.gentscc.com

Or if you would just like to help and give back to those less fortunate, and you are interested in fashion check out:   www.couture-conscience.org

No comments:

Post a Comment