Saturday 2 June 2012

Old Habits Die Hard

When I was younger I didnt know what I wanted to do. I was pressured into the whole academic route because of family pressure and I found it relatively easy. Not massively enjoyable but not really difficult. This led me to getting a Masters degree. I wasn't a super smart genius by any stretch of the imagination, but I was offered the ability to do a PHD funded but reading has never been something I really enjoyed, so I didnt take up this route.



Next stop was to get a 'proper' job (at least thats what I thought a proper job was back then). When I got a graduate role at Fujitsu Services I was told I had a lot of potential and natural leadership ability, but being a little lazy and more interested in having fun mean I did not progress as far up the career ladder as I could have. Again this is not to say I did not climb the ladder, and when I left for London I was in a very good role.

However it became apparent that this was not my passion, I searched for this 'passion' and in the last year in London, I have experienced some really fun, new creative outlets. I have been interviewed for bits on national TV and Radio, and I have enjoyed it, a lot, but it still wasn't something that really gave me this kind of inner fire or passion.

I saw my best friend take up stand up comedy and tried that, that was really great fun, a bit like jumping out of a plane is fun, and I would like to do more of this but again it wasn't a passion, more of something that could be a hobby.

Through modelling I stumbled into a presenting role, and this is the first time I have done something and felt like this could be it. This could be my passion, a whole life of being quite laid back is hard to fight, but I know to not have any regrets in 10 years I really need to invest a lot of time and effort into this art form. I presented the below this February and it seems that unfortunately for me and the future Abs - Old habits die hard but I have no one to blame but myself!


No comments:

Post a Comment